Wednesday, July 4, 2007

10 Days and Counting

Last Monday, I got my final set of vaccines: rabies shot number three, a tetanus shot, and a TB test. (In case you were worried, I don’t have tuberculosis.) The trip started to feel real when Sara and I met with Kathleen who is also going to Africa---she told us that her nurse from the travel clinic suggested she bring her own syringes in case she needed any injections of anything in Africa. That is when I started to freak out. We’re really going.

The next day, Sara and I went to a reading at our favorite independent bookstore and listened to Kris Holloway speak about her book, Monique and the Mango Rains. As I listened to her share her experiences working with a midwife in Mali as a Peace Corps volunteer, I was on the verge of tears and found myself compelled to join. I signed up. After I received my first informational email from the Peace Corps, I settled down. I think I’ll start with summer volunteering before I begin two years of service.

This week, Sara and I bombarded Sam, the lead American volunteer, with a zillion questions. Yes, protein bars are a good idea, as is electrolyte powder for dehydration. Laundry is easy; so only bring seven pairs of underwear. Communication is available, and Maria, our hostess, has Internet and is working to get wireless.

My room is a mess as I’ve begun making Mali piles. Light flowing skirts that cover my knees, (I can’t wait to purchase their traditional pagnes or colorful wrap skirts), malaria pills, boxes of donated art supplies, notebooks, and mini soccer balls rest next to my dresser. In addition to our packs, Sara and I will bring an extra suitcase or two filled with supplies. We’re getting ready.

In ten days we’ll be on our way to Mali.

No comments: