Monday, July 9, 2007

Final Preparations!

We leave for our journey in less than a week! I continue to learn about Mali, through books, web sites, films, and talking to people. I found this news website which shows local stories translated into English, and this weather website which tells me if I should worry more about malaria (lots of rain) or heat exhaustion (no rain). Today at the bank, I recognized that the man there had a Malian name and we chatted about places to visit. Zoe and I were also lucky enough to go to a workshop led by Mamadou Diabate at the Old Songs Festival. He plays the kora, a unique West African instrument with 21 strings. I am trying to get a mental picture of what it will be like - what will our beds be like? What will we eat? What will a typical day look like? Today, thanks to the generosity of families at school, I went shopping for a lot of art supplies that we will be donating to IEP. I did my best to predict which paints, markers, and other supplies would be most useful there. With only a few days left, I am soaking in the Massachusetts summer sun and checking things off my To Do List. It's almost departure time...

No comments: